After El Atlo Market, we continue our visit our “visit” of El Alto by reaching the “Polyfuncional” and watch the Cholitas wrestling spectacle.
We are sunday afternoon and every sunday, a lot of Bolivianos (and tourists) are queuing in front of the entrance of the Polyfuncional to applaud the Cholitas (the girls from the country) that are dressed with traditionnal costume and wear long bunches.
These spectacles are quite popular and the room is packed.
These women confront each other or face other men, who usually will always lose the “fight”.
Below is a video with music that Jacques&Caro have realized:
What happends during the Cholitas Wrestling?
First, it is a spectale opened to the whole family: Parents, kids and grand-parents.
Secondly, on the ring we have:
– the corrupt referee who supports one of the fighter,
– and two fighters who can be cholitas, one cholitas and one man or two men.
Each fight follows the same scenario:
– A first part where the fighter, supported by the corrupt referee, wins
– But the public will protest, yell and throw different sort of things.
– A second and final part where the “good” wins against the “bad” and the referee. Everyone is happy
During a few hours, we have been able to watch a few “fights” which gave us a lot of short movies to make the final movie.
Blog you soon from another popular place of La Paz,
Other activities in/around La Paz: